Finland 100 - Urban Event - Stockport
Suomi Finland 100 Festival of Orienteering
Fast orienteering in the city where Victorian mills and viaducts rub shoulders with modern structures of glass and steel.
Sun 15th Oct 2017
Type of event: Regional, Urban
Type of terrain: Urban
Info updated: 19th Oct
Stockport is an interesting town for urban orienteering, with hills, roads at different levels, and many narrow alleys.
Paul Watson planned some excellent courses, making very good use of the area, and giving an interesting variety of route choices..
A considerable amount of remapping was needed, with Paul noting the areas needing amending and Chris Rostron doing the mapping. Paul also discovered a new uncrossable fence that had been erected the day before the event, and had to be added by hand to the map.
For Chris Rostron this mapping was in addition to all his work in co-ordinating the whole weekend, which was a great success. He is to be congratulated for his inspiration for the 3-day event, and all his hard work in the planning and overall organisation.
Chris Kirkham had everything in hand as day organiser, with plenty of help from the usual reliable group of club members.
The contact from the Events Department at Stockport Council was present. He was very pleased with our organisation of the event, and commented that it was just the kind of activity that Stockport needed.
Pre Event Info
Stockport Town Centre Merseyway Precinct, Stockport SK1 1PJ
Opposite Halifax Bank at Eastern end of Precinct
It is advised that competitors wear reflective bibs or highly visible clothing.
SI (non-contactless) timing will be used.
Nearest town: Stockport
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: SK1 1PJ
- Latitude: 53.41234
- Longitude: -2.15855
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Use Stockport Town Centre Car parks (20p an hour).
Train: To Stockport Station then 600m walk to Assembly.
Bus: Any route to Stockport Bus Station then 400m walk to Assembly.
Registration & Start Times
Starts: 10:30 to 12:30.
Standard UK Urban League classes.
Course lengths subject to final controlling.
|Course No.||Suggested Mens classes||Course name||Suggested Womens classes||Course name||Length (km)|
|2||Veteran (M40+)||MV||Open (W18-W35)||WO||6.1|
|3||Super Veteran (M55+)||MSV||Veteran (W40+)||WV||5.2|
|4||Ultra Veteran (M65+)||MUV||Super Veteran (W55+)||WSV||3.8|
|5||Hyper Veteran (M75+||MHV||Ultra Veteran (W65+), Hyper Veteran (W75+)||WUV, WHV||3.0|
|6||Junior (M16-)||MJ||Junior (W16-)||WJ||3.0|
|7||Young Junior (M12-)||MYJ||
Young Junior (W12-)
Note: Juniors under 16 on the day can only enter courses 6 and 7
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Pre-enter online via Fabian4 www.fabian4.co.uk.
Cheap entries close midnight Sunday 8th October. All entries close Wednesday 11th October.
If you can't use Fabian4 for any reason then contact the Finland100 co-ordinator
Seniors £8 (up to 8th Oct), Juniors and Students: £4
SI cards are available to hire @ £1 per day for Adults (free for Juniors). Lost cards £30.00.
Entries after Sunday 8th October will incur a £1 surcharge per Senior.
Online entries close midnight Wednesday October 11th.
There will be a £2 fee for any changes to pre-entries after Wednesday October 11th.
EOD will be accepted subject to availability of maps.
Complex Town centre with many steep alleyways and irregular street pattern plus inner town estate areas with open land and parks surrounding.
Map: 1:5,000 Urban map
Contacts / Officials
Co-ordinator: Chris Rostron , Tel. 01663 764799
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.