MDOC Night Event - Teggs Nose Country Park
Part of the North West Night League 2016/17
The NWNL is sponsored by Bright Bike Lights www.brightbikelights.com
Further dates and venues can be found on the North West Night League 2017 page
Sat 21st Jan 2017
Type of event: Local-(D), Night
Type of terrain: Moorland, Parkland
Info updated: 22nd Jan
Pre Event Info
This is a night event in Winter on an exposed hillside and the weather may be changeable. Therefore, you may be required to carry or wear a hooded waterproof jacket..
A backup lamp and whistle are compulsory and will be checked.
Carrying a mobile phone is strongly recommended.
Nearest town: Macclesfield
- Grid Ref: SJ949732
- Postcode: SK11 0AP
- Latitude: 53.25632
- Longitude: -2.07629
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Signed from A537 at the east of Macclesfield. Pay Parking at Visitor's Centre
Registration & Start Times
Registration 5:30 to 6:45. Starts 6:00 to 7:15 pm
Start: 15min walk on level path
Finish: 20min walk to Visitor's Centre Car Park
Course closure will be at 20:45 pm.
Please download immediately after finishing, even if you retire, so that we can be sure all runners are safely back
Courses will be offered as follows:
Orange - 2.3km / 100m / 16 controls
Green - 3.1km / 180m / 23 controls
Blue - 3.9km / 230m / 26 controls
The map scale will be 1:5,000.
Control Descriptions will be on the map and loose copies at Registration. There will be no legend on the map.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Seniors (M/W21+) £5.00
Juniors (M/W20-) £2.50
SI cards will be available for hire, but note that lost SI cards will be charged at £40.
This is a Moorland outcrop with open fields and heather areas on the top. The area of old quarry workings are mainly avoided.
All courses finish at the bottom of the steep hillside so that steep climbs are mainly avoided.
Registration is inside the Rangers office and there is a small gallery area for people to store bags etc and perhaps change but the main cafe area is Strictly Out of Bounds.
Toilets are available.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Chris Rostron 01663 764799 or 07929 516649 on the night
Planner: Steve Fellbaum
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.