NWNL Event - Irwell Valley North
Part of the North West Night League 2014/15
Sponsored by Bright Bike Lights
Sat 24th Jan 2015
Type of event: Local, Night
Type of terrain: Parkland, Woodland
Info updated: 08th Feb
Pre Event Info
Safety: No whistle No go. Cagoules may be compulsory.
Full details on the Irwell Valley flyer.
Nearest town: Prestwich
- Grid Ref: SD773048
- Postcode: M26 1DY
- Latitude: 53.54004
- Longitude: -2.34302
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking at Giant's Seat Scout Hut.
Access signposted from GR SD773055 off A667 Ringley Road West, Outwood, Radcliffe M26 1DY.
Registration & Start Times
Registration: 17:30 - 18:30
Start times: 18:00 - 19:00
Courses close progressively from 20:15 onwards
SI Punching will be used.
Courses: Blue 5.2k 175m, Green 3.7k 130m , Orange 2.5k 80m
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Free SI Hire but £30 charged if lost
Woodland in valleys with flat open grass areas around young copses
Changing Facilities in Scout Hut.
Complimentary Tea, Coffee and/or cup a soup
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Chris Rostron
Controller: John Britton
Organiser: Chris Rostron 01663 764799
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.