Regional Event - Philips Park
and Prestwich Forest Park
A Regional Event in Philips Park and Prestwich Forest Park, near Bury in North Manchester.
All enquiries to
Sun 10th Feb 2019
Type of event: Regional
Type of terrain: Parkland, Woodland
Info updated: 05th Dec
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Bury, N. Manchester
- Grid Ref: SD798040
- Postcode: M45 7QJ
- Latitude: 53.53189
- Longitude: -2.30683
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking will be on hard standing within Philips Park, with overflow on adjacent roads.
Registration & Start Times
Registration and Download will be in The Barn Countryside Centre in Philips Park, from 10.00 to 11.45
Starts from 10.30 to 12.30
Start and Finish will be within 250m of Registration.
White, Yellow, Orange, Light Green, Long Orange, (Very) Short Green, Green, Blue, Brown
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Pre-entry via www.fabian4.co.uk. Entries will close at midnight on Sunday 3rd February.
Seniors £8.00, Juniors (under 21) and students £3.00.
Limited EOD. Seniors £9.00, Juniors and students £3.50
SI electronic timing will be used. Dibbers will be available for hire from registration at a fee of £1 (free for juniors). Lost dibbers will be charged for at £30.00.
Undulating mixed park/woodland. Many paths, tracks, cycleways and ponds.
Yes. Obey local bye-laws, but no dogs on courses.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Chris Kirkham 0161 903 9023 (not after 21.00 please)
Planner: Ian Gilliver
Controller: Tom Gray PFO
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.