Summer Evening Event 2 - Lyme
A summer evening event offering courses that are suitable for novices and for experienced orienteers.
Tue 23rd May 2017
Type of event: Regional
Type of terrain: Moorland, Parkland, Woodland
Info updated: 26th May
A pair of sunglasses were found at Registration/Download.
Please email to claim.
I enjoyed the planning for this event and the chance to work with Mawds (who attempted to control me ;) and it’s always such a pleasure working with Pete and Rae. I hope I managed to entertain you with some reasonable courses. Prior to the event volunteers & LP rangers were busy in Lantern Wood (and also on some slopes in the west of the park) clearing rhododendron, luckily I had been alerted to this so I was able to make map updates just prior to courses being finalised. Having discovered and mapped a ‘new’ depression in Lantern wood I was on the lookout for other new features I could map and as a result I was particularly pleased with my Blue course which visited some of these. I was also able to provide plenty of route choices on the longer legs for competitors on Blue which led to lively and enjoyable discussion after racing! Eg 3-4 which side of the cage? 5-6 along side or over/path. 6-7 left or right? 11-12 Up and round path or tackle the tussocks? ....I would appreciate competitors putting their routes on RouteGadget! Competitors on the Green have Mawds to thank that it wasn’t tougher than it already was…but people produced some good times on all courses despite the heat.
YELLOW: Come on those M/W10’s….Jack and Eva….Good running!!
SHORT GREEN: Fast times recorded by youngsters Benjamim and Olly of Fallibroome and also Edward of Stockport Harriers on LIGHT GREEN.
GREEN: Convincing win by Matt and excellent times by the ladies on that course particularly Vets Cecilia and Jane and SVet Kate. And to Jake and Dom M12’s on Green!
BLUE: Congratulations to Ben D on thrashing his Dad ;)! 7.5mins/k with all that climb! Well done Vet Steve D too...Excellent runs by first lady Carolyn who ran to the park & Vet Heather.
Many thanks to all who helped with control collection, all 36, and fast pack-up at the end. Given that control collecting had to commence at 7.35pm (to be out of the park for 8pm) then courses should have been advertised as closed from that time so apologies to anyone affected.
It was a good job the sun shone all day and evening for us to brighten spirits since I know that we had been adversely affected by the evil bombing in Manchester the night before…..being out in the park was just what a lot of people needed. Life is so precious.
PS Mawds your printing was spot on, there were favourable comments!
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Disley
- Grid Ref: SJ964823
- Postcode: SK12 2NR
- Latitude: 53.33836
- Longitude: -2.05667
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
The park is signed from A6 just west of Disley village. Follow main drive 1 mile to Car Park. Registration in the Timber Yard, signed from main car park.
Registration & Start Times
Registration from 17.30. Starts 18.00 - 19.00. Must finish by 20.00 - park gates closed.
Courses suitable for novices and for experienced orienteers:
White, Yellow, Orange, Light Green, Short Green, Green, Blue
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Fees: £5.00 seniors and £2.00 juniors. Free SI-dibber loan (but £30 if not returned)
On leads in car park and assembly area only
Contacts / Officials
Contact: Tony Wagg 0161 445 0902
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.