Town & Country Coronation Spunch Special
Part town & part country! Part on street-O map and part using public rights of way on an enlarged and enhanced OS map extract. You will have to master both town and country in order to be crowned as the champion!
- Final Details v2 (06/05/2023)
Sun 07th May 2023
Type of event: Local, Score
Info updated: 08th May
Many thanks to those who came along to yesterday's Coronation Spunch Special in Bollington.
It was great to see so many regulars and newcomers. (Over 150 in total, counting partners, kids, friends etc - Our biggest Spunch event so far)
Kudos to all - maybe especially to the GET50 contingent!
We hope you enjoyed it!
We were trying out a few new things at this one: Mixed Town & Country area; Hybrid map; GETx scatter format; 4 x different course "length" options; Day-before PDF map publication to allow advance route planning. They all seemed to work reasonably well. If you have any feedback on this format of event, please do let me know - what did you like, and maybe what didn't you like?! Also if any of you have any nice Spunch pics that you are happy to be shared anonymously on social media, please WhatsApp them to me on 07751932749.
Big shout outs to Jason & Debbie at Adelphi Properties for use of the site, and to Alex, Emily & Owen at AW Muscle & Fitness Gym for letting us use their loos. We will be making donations to their chosen charities from the cake stall proceeds.
Also thanks to Bollington Town Council for welcoming us to the Happy Valley, and to the control-site checkers, bakers and cake stall hosts, MapRun experts, Printers, and on-the-day helpers (you know who you are).
Next Spunch events 18/5 - Alderley Park, 14/6 New Mills
Hope to see you there.
Pre Event Info
Punching and timing using MapRun7. Free runs for under-16s who must be accompanied by a paying adult. Pre-entry through SiEntries with EOD surcharge of £1.
Note: GET40 course is now GET50 (19-21km)
and GET10 is now GET12 (still c. 4km)
Nearest town: Bollington, Macclesfield
- Grid Ref:
- Postcode: SK10 5JB
- Latitude: 53.29225
- Longitude: -2.10716
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Registration & Start Times
Registration: 10:00 to 11:00
Rolling Start: 10:45 to 11:30
Short (GET12) - optimum distance c.4k
Medium (GET20) - optimum distance c.8k
Long (GET30) - optimum distance c.12k
Very Long (GET50) - optimum distance c.19-20k
Course type: Scatter(N)
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Adult 21+: £5, Junior 16-20/Student: £3, U16s: Free with paying adult.
Pre-entries available in advance on SiEntries up to 11am on the day.
£1 surcharge on entries after midnight on Friday 5th May.
Part town and part country!
Contacts / Officials
Enquiries to: Andy Thornton
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.