Manchester and District Orienteering Club
The Knot Inn, Rushton Spencer, Countryside Score Event
Monday 25th June 2012
Firstly a few words of thanks to:
- All the competitors who attended the event, down by a third on the last similar event a month ago due perhaps to the busy summer Events Calendar and the extra distance from Manchester - next time we won't mention Staffordshire (nor the nettles!)
- Alice and her team at The Knot for coping with the influx of orienteers and providing some very tasty food and ales
- John Brick for making arrangements with his colleagues at the National Grid line renewal project for the closure of two key footpaths to be suspended, just for the duration of our event - excellent stuff! I do think it made a significant difference to the route choices available.
- Jane McCann for the map extract, Eddie Speak for telling me again (sorry Eddie!) how to do the map edits, Steve Lang for the printing, and Sal for her continued support
- And of course Andy Thornton for setting up the series, acting as a sounding board, and for his leadership and contribution on the night.
Well, it was a cracking evening to be out in the Staffordshire countryside, and many of you will have seen some splendid views.
Happily everyone came back safely and without major incident.
I hope you enjoyed the event, encountering a variety of farm animals, and finding some interesting and quirky clues - despite having to put up with some dull stretches of road and nasty nettles.
It is apparent from the pattern of answers that a variety of route options were taken, understandably somewhat different for the 60 and 90 minutes options.
Having made several errors of imprecision in setting the clues for last year's event at Brook Bottom, I tried hard this time to make each clue really precise. From reviewing people's answer sheets however, it is clear that two of my answers were incorrect, and some other clues were not as precise as I had thought. I think I've been reasonably lenient in my marking, but if only one person has come up with an alternative answer then I've marked that with a cross.
Despite my best intentions, I do now realise that the following wording is open to interpretation: 'Foot bridge: how many upright supports on each side of bridge?' With the benefit of hindsight, I can imagine some of you thinking "Well, what does he mean by the side of a bridge?" Well, I meant the 'side' rather than the 'end'. Hohum, and sorry for the doubt which I caused.
And finally, congratulations to Simon Proud and Tom Fellbaum for winning the 90 and 60 minute events respectively.?
per 10 Min
|5||Peter & Adrienne Redhead||18||18||0||18||2.00|
|22||Chris & Irene Rhodes||14||12||0||12||1.33|
|26||Richard & Aaron Storey||11||9||0||9||1.00|
per 10 Min
|5||Holly Platt Wells||12||12||0||12||2.00|
|13||Gareth & Cathryn||10||10||0||10||1.67|
|14||Laura & Hazel Hindle||10||10||1||9||1.50|
|15||Ian & Ali Ford||12||9||1||8||1.33|
|20||Harvey and Will Meredith||3||3||0||3||0.50|
Monday 16th July - The Navigation Inn, Buxworth
Wednesday 4th July - DEE Summer Evening Event, Big Covert, Mold
Thursday 12th July - DEE Summer Evening Event, Marbury Country Park, Northwich
Tuesday 17th July - Summer Evening Event, Alderley Edge
Details of all the above can be found on the MDOC website