Countryside Score 4 - Whaley Bridge
Rural score event using public rights of way on an enlarged OS map extract, suitable for newcomers and experienced navigators alike.
Wed 27th Jun 2018
Type of event: Local, Score
Type of terrain: Moorland, Urban, Woodland
Info updated: 19th Jun
Pre Event Info
Venue: The Cock, 22 Buxton Rd, Whaley Bridge, High Peak SK23 7JE
Back to the hills!!
Whaley Bridge nestles in the green folds of the Peak Districk, smock clad shepherds tend their flocks while chewing a piece of grass or smoking their clay pipes.....enough of this rubbish, it's just hills that go up and up and up then come back down again.
Rural score event using public rights of way on an enlarged OS map extract.
60 or 90 minute score event. You can choose which time you run for after starting - very handy if you are miles away when 60 minutes expires.
Bring a pen/pencil and a watch.
Each control on the map will be marked by a numbered circle. On the clue sheet there will be a clue asking a question about an object at the centre of the circle. The answer should be written on the clue sheet next to the question. We try to keep the clues as unambiguous as possible. A typical clue will not be;
How many sheep are in the grassy field over the stile?
A typical clue will be. "Who does the bench commemorate?"
Good network of paths and lanes that will take you up some of the hills but also give you a chance to stay in the slightly flatter valley bottom.
THE COCK @ WHALEY BRIDGE
Pre Order Menu
House Pies - Steak & Ale - Feta & sweet potato (V) £11.95
Shortcrust pie with hand cut chips and vegetables + red wine gravy
Beef Short Rib - £12.95
Slow roasted beef short rib with creamy mashed potato and seasonal veg
Gammon & Egg £10.95
Smoked gammon steak with sunny side free range egg hand cut chips (GF)
Grilled Chicken - Italian - Cajun - Smokey BBQ - Peri Peri £10.95
24 hour marinated chicken breast with hand cut chips salad and vine tomatoes
Scampi & Chips £7.95 / £12.95
Golden Scampi served with hand cut chips and fresh baby leaf salad
Sausage & Mash £8.95
Succulent sausages of the day served with red wine gravy and creamy buttered
Vegetable Spring Rolls £4.25 Crispy spring rolls served with a sweet chilli dip (V)
Lemmon pepper sole £6.95 Breaded Sole goujons + tartar + Chips
Chicken Bites £7.95 Sweet Chilli Chicken bites + baby leaf + Chips
served in a brioche bun with hand cut fries coleslaw & potato salad
Bacon & Cheese Burger £13.95 Angus patty salad and brioche bun
Texas BBQ Burger £11.95 Crispy Chicken tenders bbq bacon & Cheese
Salmon Burger with £12.95 Prime salmon burger and dill mayo
Spicy Chicken Burger £11.95 Chicken burger aioli and brioche bun
Angus Burger £9.95 Plain Jane salad and patty Sauce
Lamb Burger £11.95 Minted lamb & Yoghurt &mint
Nearest town: Whaley Bridge
- Grid Ref: SK011810
- Postcode: SK23 7JE
- Latitude: 53.32471
- Longitude: -1.98462
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking at The Cock is extremely tight so please try and find a place on nearby streets or walk in from the large car park at the canal basin.
The White Horse pub near the junction of the A5004 and B5470 is closed but the car park is still accessible, just past Frydays fish and chip shop.
Registration & Start Times
Registration from 18:30. Mass start 19:15
The start will be in the Memorial Park which is a short walk from the pub.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Fees: Senior £4, Junior/student £2
Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult.
Contacts / Officials
Co-ordinator: Dave McCann 0161 483 2061
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.