Spring Series 3 - Wythenshawe Park
Sat 16th Mar 2019
Type of event: Local
Type of terrain: Parkland
Info updated: 16th Mar
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: South Manchester
- Grid Ref: SJ815900
- Postcode: M23 0AB
- Latitude: 53.40345
- Longitude: -2.28241
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Signed from B5167, 1km from Princess Parkway. Parking charge
Registration & Start Times
Register 10.15 to 11.45, Starts 10.30 to 12.00, Courses close 13.15.
Fee: Seniors £4, Juniors £2. Free SI-dibber hire (but £30 if not returned).
Please don’t arrive before 10.00 as the park has a "Park Run"
White, Yellow, Orange and Light Green courses, suitable for everybody, newcomers, improvers and regulars, with advice and instruction available.
Or a 45 minute Score course to be done as either
- a traditional score - ideal for school children to practice for the British Schools Score Championships at Heaton Park on October 12th
- or ‘odds/evens’ for the more experienced.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Contacts / Officials
Series Co-ordinator: Alison Doyle
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.