Summer Evening Event - Lyme Park
Thu 22nd May 2014
Type of event: Regional
Type of terrain: Moorland, Parkland, Woodland
Info updated: 19th Mar
Thanks to all competitors for turning up to a rather wet event - though happily for me, it was dry for control placement and collection.
Courses had rather fewer controls than they might normally, as I had to take into account the closure of the park at 20:30.
Shorter courses turned left at the start kite, and had the benefit of the runnable terrain north of Lyme Hall and around 'The Cage'.
Orange, Light Green, Green and Blue turned right at the start. These courses included a few route choices, and while having the benefit of the largely runnable Knightslow and Lantern Woods, also faced some rather uninviting tussocks. Could/should I have reduced/avoided your exposure to the moorland? You will have your own views.
Despite the mixed terrain there were several fast runs, and congratulations to all course winners.
For those who are new to orienteering, welcome! I hope I haven't put you off trying it again.
My thanks go to: Eddie for preparing the map extracts; Steve for printing (with Dave M on standby); Dave McC for controlling; Trevor, Hazel, John, Chris, and Mark for control collection; and the host of helpers who sorted the equipment at the end of the day.
Special thanks should go to Pete and Rae Lomas for staging another series of springtime events in Lyme Park, supported by a team of regular helpers (with apologies for any omissions): all those listed above, plus Julie, Martin, Jen, Sue, Vicky, Heather, Jane, Jan and Richard. Without you, it wouldn't happen!
Pre Event Info
Nearest town: Disley
- Grid Ref: SJ964823
- Postcode: SK12 2NR
- Latitude: 53.33998
- Longitude: -2.05802
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Lyme Park entrance is on the A6 just west of Disley. Follow main drive for 1 mile to car park. Free entry to Park after 4.30 pm
Registration & Start Times
Registration: O centre signed from main car park.
Register from 5.30pm. Starts 6.00pm to 7.00pm. Must finish by 8.00pm - park gates closed at 8.30pm sharp.
White, Yellow, Orange, Light Green, Short Green, Green, Blue
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Fees: Senior £5, Junior/student £2
Dogs on leads in car park only. No dogs on courses.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser: Pete Lomas
Planner: Ian Gilliver
Controller: Dave McCann
Contact: Peter Lomas 0161 483 4332
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.