MDOC Night Event - Brereton Heath
Part of the North West Night League 2022/23
The NWNL is sponsored by Bright Bike Lights www.brightbikelights.com.
Sat 28th Jan 2023
Type of event: Local, Night
Type of terrain: Parkland, Woodland
Info updated: 29th Jan
Pre Event Info
Marshes/water marked as uncrossable should not be crossed.
The linear water course along the southern part of the map should only be crossed at marked bridges or at path crossing points with care.
Elsewhere it is likely to be too wide and deep.
This is a night event in Winter and the weather may be changeable. Therefore, you may be required to carry or wear a hooded waterproof jacket
A backup lamp and whistle are compulsory
Carrying a mobile phone is strongly recommended.
Nearest town: Holmes Chapel
- Grid Ref: SJ795654
- Postcode: CW12 4SU
- Latitude: 53.18419
- Longitude: -2.30772
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Signed from A54 Holmes Chapel to Congleton road. 3.7 miles from junction 18 of M6. Parking at Brereton is Pay parking before 5pm but we have exclusive use of the Car Park as it 'formally' shuts at 5pm. Registration near Visitor Centre.
Registration & Start Times
Registration 17:00 to 18:30. Starts 17:30 to 18:45.
Start: Adjacent to Registration
Finish: Adjacent to Registration
Course closure will be at 20:15pm.
It is a punching start with no pre allocated individual starting times.
Apart from the start and finish controls all controls will be SIAC enabled.
PLEASE DOWNLOAD IMMEDIATELY AFTER FINISHING, EVEN IF YOU RETIRE, SO THAT WE CAN BE SURE ALL RUNNERS ARE SAFELY BACK
Courses will be offered as follows:
Orange - 2.5km / 25m / 13 controls
Green - 3.9km / 30m /16 controls Double sided map
Blue - 5.9km / 35m / 25 controls Double sided map
The map scale will be 1: 5,000.
Control Descriptions will be on the map and loose copies at Registration.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Everyone should Pre-register (no entry fee) using the MDOC Registration System https://mdocentry.org.uk/ This will guarantee a map is available
Online entry closing date: Thursday 26th January
Limited EOD, subject to map availability
Seniors (M/W21+) £6.00
Juniors (M/W20-) £3.00
SI cards will be available for loan but note that lost SI cards will be charged at £40.
Please pay for your entry at Registration by contactless payment or correct cash
Registration is in a gazebo outside the main buildings.
Lit inside toilets will be available which are suitable to change in.
Contacts / Officials
Organiser/Planner: Chris Rostron 01663 764799 or 07929 516649 on the night
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.