Spunch 2 - Middlewood
Second of a series of 6 Countryside Score events using Satellite (GPS) S-punching staged on weekends over the period Oct 22 to March 23.
(More details about the whole Spunch 22/23 event series can be found here.)
Sun 06th Nov 2022
Type of event: Local, Score
Info updated: 06th Nov
Pre Event Info
- Mass start countryside score using S-punching on the MapRun smartphone or Garmin app
- 60 minute or 90 minute course options
- c.40 checkpoints scattered over an area of around 6-9sq km in interesting mixed countryside, using paths, tracks and open access areas
- Plentiful route choice options. Hilly but not mountainous!
- One of a series of 6 Spunch events over the winter months. More details of the series here
- Can be done solo, in a pair or small group. Under 16s must be accompanied by parent or guardian.
- Results available on line immediately following the event (subject to data signal).
Please pre-enter using http://mdocentry.org.uk.
Venue: Nelson's Pit, 18 Lyme Rd, Higher Poynton SK12 1TH
Food and Drink are available from the Boars Head pub, and the Coffee Tavern cafe, both of which are adjacent to Nelson's Pit.
Nearest town: Higher Poynton
- Grid Ref: SJ945833
- Postcode: SK12 1TH
- Latitude: 53.34717
- Longitude: -2.08462
- Google Map
- Streetmap (OS 50k)
- Bing Map (OS 50k)
Directions / Parking
Parking, Toilets, Registration, Start, and Finish are all adjacent to the Nelson's Pit Visitor Centre.
There is a pay and display car park at the visitor centre. £2 for up to 3 hours. £3 for over 3 hours. Pay by card or phone.
Free on street parking in residential areas is available within 5-10 mins walk on Shrigley Rd N, Shrigley Rd, Coppice Rd and Anson Rd.
Parking at the visitor centre and on surrounding streets can get busy at weekends. Please car share where possible and park considerately.
Registration & Start Times
Mass start at 11am. Pre-start registration open from 10am to 10.50am (please don't arrive at the last minute!)
c.40 checkpoints scattered over an area of around 6-9sq km in interesting mixed countryside, using paths, tracks and open access areas
Plentiful route choice options. Hilly but not mountainous!
Visit as many as you can in your chosen time allowance 60mins or 90mins. (Choose on the day)
Visits to checkpoints to be recorded using the MapRun app on your smartphone or Garmin.
Each checkpoint visited scores you 20points. 10points penalty for each minute (or part minute) that you return after your time allowance.
Explanation of colour courses
- White are very easy with all controls on paths. They are mainly used by 6-10 year olds and family groups.
- Yellow use simple linear features like paths, walls and streams. They are mainly used by under 12’s and family groups.
- Orange progress to basic use of the compass and route choice. They are ideal for novice adults or experienced youngsters.
- Light Green are ideal for improvers as the navigational difficulty begins to increase and uses simple contours and point features.
- Green are used mostly by experienced under 18’s and adults wanting a short but challenging course with a very hard navigational difficulty.
- Blue are a longer, more physically demanding course in comparison to the green. The distances are more varied between controls and the course attracts experienced orienteers.
- Brown & Black are very physically demanding and have a very hard navigational difficulty. They are for experienced orienteers only.
- Score means visiting as many controls as possible in any order in a specific time, like 45mins.
Visit mdocentry.org.uk to reserve your map. Closing date Friday 4 November.
Payment on the day by cash (preferred) or card.
Fees: Senior £4, Junior/student £2. Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult.
Very limited entry on day. Map can not be guaranteed for EOD.
Contacts / Officials
Enquiries to: Andy Thornton
Safety and Risk
A comprehensive risk assessment will have been carried out by the organiser, but participants take part at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety during the event.
Privacy: when entering our events your name may appear in the results section of this website or in newspaper reports.